Saturday, November 16, 2013

pumpkins and thyme honey



As this corner of the world at last greys and begins to chill, getting out of a warm snuggly bed in the morning feels like the least appealing thing to do in the world— especially on a Saturday. But naturally, someone somewhere outside my window had no problem getting out of bed to drill concrete at eight in the morning. Suspended between a foggy dream and awake, my mind wandered to the large pumpkin in my fridge, which I bought from a charming woman on the side of the road last week. I stood up on stiff legs and shuffled to the kitchen, the plan for pumpkin pancakes unfolding. This was a fine excuse to dip into the jar of thyme honey (bought from the side of another road)...



Is there anything that celebrates autumn more than a pumpkin? Pomegranates and persimmons perhaps, but there's nothing like a hearty pumpkin soup or the intoxicating flavour of its orange flesh blended with cinnamon and nutmeg.



As the dropping temperatures will soon keep me indoors, I suspect my posts will become even more sporadic than they have already been, since there won't be much to share. I hope I can use this time at home to get back to drawing and painting, as I have neglected my artwork for far too long. I'm not sure why I can't seem to create anything.

So while the sky looses its colour, I'm going to remind you of warmer times with a series of posts from a little adventure I took at the end of October. There will be blue seas and olive trees, a wooden horse, and thyme honey.

No comments: