Thursday, August 20, 2015

unpacking



After a mysterious bureaucratic adventure of signatures, stamps, queues, and inspections that Pedro had to suffer in the heat of Casablanca, we have our shipment! I feel like it's my birthday, unpacking and unraveling, excited to see what each cocoon of paper and bubble wrap holds— there's the beautiful mug my student gave me on the last day of school, the letters Suzi sent, my yellow t-shirt, the carved wooden spoons Paul gave us, the photos of our dear After School Artists in Nepal. Though there was something appealing about the minimalist lifestyle we have been living this summer, it is so wonderful to have all these memories in my hands. Our little apartment is a chaos of boxes and newsprint, but I couldn't be happier!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand your feelings about the dichotomy of a minimalist lifestyle against the memories brought by stuff. Glad all your treasures arrived.

szaza said...

Thank you Sue! Oddly enough, I might need to get rid of some things that I chose to bring. You truly realise how little you actually need when you don't have much around you. I don't need all those boxes of colour pencils or that leather jacket that I never wear...